Employment Opportunity – Receiver – Come and join our Earth Team.
Be Part of Something Good, Work at Earth’s General Store
We are an independent and locally-owned grocery enterprise. We offer the community information and products that support good health and reduce our individual and collective ecological impact on the planet.
We are not your usual grocery store. We are a value based business.
A major focus of our business is to reduce packaging and so we offer our customers lots of opportunities to lessen their plastic/package footprint. We encourage our customers to bring their own containers or bags (#BYOC, #BYOB, and #BYOTC – bring your own take-away container). We want our staff to share this passion and focus.
- Are you a person that is passionate about good food – organic food, local food, plant-based food?
- Are you passionate about reduced-waste/zero-waste, the environment, alternative transportation, health?
- Do you like sharing your knowledge and passion? Are you interested in learning more about this lifestyle and to become more immersed in it?
- Are you interested in doing something beyond just a ‘job’?
Other values/focus of our store are:
- Fairness and respect for people and the planet
- Plant-based diets – reduced meat consumption
- Climate Change – ecological integrity/balance
- Plastic reduction
- Waste reduction
- Future generations
- Equality and equity
- Carbon Footprint
We are currently looking for Full-Time Receiver (40 hours/week and Monday through Friday) at our Whyte Avenue (9605-82 Avenue) store. We want a person that has the experience, commitment, and drive. We pay above the average amount for a person working in this industry.
We will need to have you to start working in early/mid-July (July 8th or the 15th).
All resumes need to be received by June 23rd, 2019
Job Title: Receiver
Job Summary: Receive shipments in an accurate and safe manner.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Receive shipments to the store in an accurate and safe manner
- Protect the integrity of the product – cold chain, proper handling, etc
- Ensure proper paper trail/flow is maintained.
- Put the product on the shelf/into storage.
- Keep the receiving and warehouse area in an organized and tidy manner.
- Manage the inventory in the receiving area
- Provide excellent and friendly customer service when engaging with customers
- Keep the alleyway area clean and organized (pallets, ice, and such)
- Household duties as directed by management and need
- Inventory – responsible for the inventorying of bulk items at our year-end (May 31st)
- Refill customer containers if needed
- Assist customers to find products or to staff that can help them
Required Competencies, Qualifications, and Skills
- Experience working in a receiving department would be really beneficial
- Effective Communication Skills – with customers, with co-workers and with management
- Customer Service Orientation (you will be engaging with the customers throughout the day and will need to help them out when needed)
- Positive Attitude
- Willingness and Ability to Learn
- Ability to lift 40-50 pounds – physically fit
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to work with the Internet, Windows, some Excel, Google Documents/Sheets, Slack
- Legally able to work in Canada
- Be fluent in English (a second or third language is also valued)
We are a value-driven based company. Our starting wage is $15 per hour. If your experience warrants it you may be started above this rate. Performance and wage review after 3 months. You should be at our Living Wage rate of 16.63$/hour after your 3-month probation period.
All new hires are reviewed on a monthly basis for the first three months to ensure that both parties are getting what they need out of the arrangement. We want to ensure that the arrangement is healthy and mutually beneficial.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Earth’s General Store is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
After 3 months and you work a minimum of 25 hours per week you will be offered a benefits package that includes life insurance, dental, drug and extended health care (such as massage therapy) coverage. The store covers 65% of this benefit package and the staff 35%.
Higher Vacation Pay
EGS employees receive 6% holiday pay instead of the required 4%. (in essence, the base rate of 15$ an hour works out to 15.90$ per hour). You do have the opportunity to have this ‘vacation pay’ either accrued so that you have money available to you for time away or paid out to you on each pay cheque.
Staff are given a 20% discount on all store products.
This is a static role. You will be employed from 8 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday.
We try and work with our staff to be flexible on time away.
How to Apply
Send your resumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop them off at the Whyte Avenue store.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Your references will be checked if you are selected for an interview.